Zanfer Promoter CEO Fernando Beltran, who co-promotes unbeaten Mexican middleweight contender Jaime Munguia, revealed that there are discussions for a potential 2021 showdown with IBF, IBO world champion Gennadiy Golovkin.
Two years ago, Munguia was selected as the opponent for Golovkin – who was seeking a foe to replace Canelo Alvarez, who was pulled from the fight after failing a pre-fight drug test.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission refused to sanction the fight – citing Munguia’s age and lack of world class experience.
Their decision benefited Munguia and help jump start his career. Following the refusal of the NSAC, Munguia was selected as a voluntary opponent by WBO junior middleweight champion Sadam Ali.
Munguia (36-0, 29 KOs) easily demolished Ali in four rounds to capture the WBO belt.
The 24-year-old was in action in October, when he stopped veteran Tureano Johnson by splitting his lower lip in half with a vicious uppercut.
After the fight, Munguia says he was very willing to face Golovkin. And his co-promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, were fully on board with the fight.
Golovkin, 38, saw action earlier this month, when he demolished mandatory challenger Kamil Szeremeta in seven rounds.
Beltran could see a Golovkin vs. Munguia fight come off in 2021.
“We are doing well, I think we have a good chance of having this fight, right now we are just talking, ” said Beltrán to ESPN Deportes.
Golovkin is also in the running for a fight with WBC, WBA super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez.
But, the fight with Canelo is not looking like a possibility until later on in the year. Canelo will first make a mandatory defense against Avni Yildirim, which is being targeted for February 27 in Guadalajara. Should he win, Canelo is likely to return in the month of May – in a potential unification with WBO world champion Billy Joe Saunders.
Noel Galang – Kamao TV