Eddie Hearn, promoter for Dillian Whyte, says a rematch with Alexander Povetkin is being targeted for two dates in November.
Last month at Matchroom’s Fight Camp in Brentwood, Povetkin was down twice and behind on points when he brutally knocked out Whyte with a single uppercut in the fifth round.
The unexpected loss removed Whyte from his WBC-interim title and his mandatory position to full world champion Tyson Fury. The mandatory defense was due by February 2021, but now Fury is free to schedule voluntaries next year.
There is a rematch clause, which Whyte is exercising to force a second fight.
Hearn wants to avoid having the rematch in 2021 and is looking at November 14 or 21, according to comments given to IFL TV.
“There’s not many in boxing that honour contracts and honour obligations and their word,” Hearn said.
“Andrey Ryabinksiy, Vadim Kornilov and World of Boxing, even if we didn’t have a contract, and we had a shake of the hand or an agreement, they would still do it. These are proper, proper people. They don’t want to wait till February/March so we will go November 14, or November 21.”
World of Boxing, who promote Whyte, have yet to be informed of a date.
“We have no confirmation or information,” World of Boxing told RT Sport. “There has been contact [with Hearn]. There will be a rematch, we just don’t know when. About November 21 we don’t have any information.”
Povetkin turned 41-years-old on Wednesday. The victory over Whyte saved his career and placed him on the path to future paydays, win or lose in the rematch.
Noel Galang – Kamao TV