Initially, UFC president Dana White was against the ring return of former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson.
But now White is fully supportive of Tyson’s comeback.
For the first time in fifteen years, the 54-year-old Tyson will hit the ring in an exhibition fight with 51-year-old four division world champion Roy Jones Jr. on September 12 in Carson, California.
White is planning to visit Tyson’s training camp.
“I’m flying out probably next week to watch him train,” White said.
“I’m excited for [Tyson]. He says he’s got that fire, he wants to fight, he wants this, Jones wants it, they’re grown men – I’m 100 percent supportive.”
On the other hand, White has no interest in entertaining the rumors of cross-sport boxing match between Manny Pacquiao and Conor McGregor.
The rumors began last week when McGregor took to social media and posted “I accept” in Tagalag, which is a language widely used in the Philippines.
McGregor announced his retirement a few weeks ago, but he’s still under an exclusive contract with the UFC.
White could care less about the rumor of Pacquiao-McGregor.
“I don’t care about any of that sh-t,” White said.
McGregor made his boxing debut back in August of 2017, when he was stopped in ten rounds by Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Their fight was a tremendous business success, becoming the second biggest pay-per-view event in history.
Earlier this year, McGregor made it clear that he was very interested in boxing again – and claimed that he was approached about the possibility of boxing Pacquiao, but felt it wasn’t the right time.
“I would be open to other boxing bouts,” McGregor said. “Manny, we were actually close to signing [a fight with] Manny. There’s been talks about a Manny fight as well. There was an offer made on that. Just not yet.”